Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 131

I recently read an article written by my good friend Vince Harris, entitled How to Conquer the Hardest Part of Getting Things Done.  In it, he states what might often be regarded as the obvious: the most difficult part of any project is simply starting that project.  As I read the article, I found my thoughts alternating between "no kidding!" and "no kidding?"

The fact of the matter is this: I'm a procrastinator.  I've always been told that eventually it'll come back to bite me in the butt, but I've nearly always come out smelling like a rose. 

On the other hand, here's another important thing about me: I am a realist.  This forces me to accept the fact that I will need to either make some changes, or that sooner or later I will suffer a painful and humiliating fall.  Hell, perhaps it'll be a catastophic failure.

I started this drawing at approximately 11:15 pm.  I have to get up early in the morning to get kids to school and to start what appears to be a very long and busy day.  One would think that I'd see the necessity in beginning my project earlier in the evening so I could get plenty of sleep in order to be rested for the day ahead.  But alas, it seems that more and more things came along to divert my attention, from tasks that truly needed to be done all the way to reading a rather mundane online interview with an aging musician that I don't even particularly care for.

I think I need to re-prioritize.  In fact, it's becoming more and more obvious to me that I need to make some major changes in the way I do things.  I have a great lady and amazing kids who are supporting me beyond belief with this project.  At the very least, I owe it to them to make the best of it...


#131 February 28, 2011  Ink
Sounds: Rick Springfield, Venus in Overdrive

No comments:

Post a Comment