Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 160

Last week I was helping one of my students with her painting. Kay is what she and I both call "an older and experienced" student, and she's an absolute joy to have around. As we discussed what she should do to make her painting better, I got more and more eager to put some paint on that canvas. Finally I seized the moment and said "how about I just show you what would work?"  It felt so good to hold the brush and to make marks with the paint!  To make matters even better for me, as I went on and on about how much I liked her stiff bristled brush, she gave it to me - although we jokingly agreed that I would "pay" her with an A in the class!

This is one of the great perks of teaching art.  I love being around people when they're making art - it's pretty inspiring.  And while I love being the facilitator to the learning process, the best part is when the students make discoveries on their own.  Seeing them figure out just the right mixture of paint to get the exact color, or how to make the perfect brushstroke to capture an image, or just being in the presence of people making something that's never existed before is motivating to me.

As some friends and I used to say when we were in college: let's go play in the studio, because it's usually too fun to be called work!

What is completed of this painting was made in about an hour and a half, give or take.  I originally thought I'd eventually finish the entire panel, but I think I really like the unfinished look.  And yes, I did use the brush I got from Kay...

#160, March 29, 2011,  Oil on wood panel (detail)
Sounds: Jeff Black mix CD


#160, March 29, 2011,  Oil on wood panel
Sounds: Jeff Black mix CD

No comments:

Post a Comment