Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 132

I've always been fascinated with the culture of America in the 1950s and 1960s. I love the music, I love the Mid-century Modern decorating style, I love movies and TV shows set in that time period. And while I know it's not literally possible to travel back in time, the idea of visiting that era is very intriguing.

I recently watched a documentary about Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, who was a legendary custom car builder and painter. Another legend, Von Dutch, was mentioned because of his revolutionary style of pinstriping cars during this era. Both of these men were incredibly influential in the areas of automotive design and customization, as well as the visual arts in general. I decided to pay a bit of tribute to them with this self-portrait, which includes "hot rod" flames and a pinstriping pattern.

#132 March 1, 2011,  Pen
Sounds: Various Artists, Hot Rod Classics

No comments:

Post a Comment