Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 145

I will be the first one to admit that I have no idea what this self-portrait means. So, I'll explain the process involved in making this drawing, and allow the viewer to decide what it means.

1. I spent way too much time on facebook this evening, and received a joking message from my buddy Robert instructing me to get to work on today's self-portrait. I responded sarcastically.

2. I folded some laundry in an attempt to conger up an interesting idea.  Apparently laundry isn't as interesting or exciting as I had hoped.

3. I was distracted by Shana doing her exercise video, so I sat down to watch.  Her, not the video.

4. In order to motivate myself, I decided to select some art-making music since I haven't used it as an influence for the past several days. Ultimately, I decided on a CD that I just bought Shana for her birthday (excellent choice, by the way!).

5. I sat down in front of the mirror and began making faces. It occurred to me that I should be glad no one was looking at me. It would've been even worse if I had been being filmed. On the other hand, if that were the case, then I could potentially become a youtube phenomenon. So I decided to continue making faces anyway.

6. I started sketching with quick, loose pencil marks. The lines that defined my hair were somewhat reminiscent of those from Day 132, so I decided to run with it and plagiarize myself.  I gave myself permission, however, so perhaps it was just borrowing from myself.

7. As I was adding the facial features, I thought it might be nice to close my eyes.  It didn't take me long to realize that it's very difficult to draw with your eyes closed, so I simply closed the eyes in the drawing.

8. I remembered a comment that I made a few days ago about how I've been missing all of the birds in my drawings, so I got online to find an image of a blackbird.  Then a crow.  Finally I settled on a raven.  As the drawing process continued, I changed the features a bit, so I ask that lovers of ravens don't hold me accountable for the incorrect details.

9. As I was adding the ink, I realized that the bird appeared to be whispering in my ear.  I have no idea what a bird would say to me, but I like to imagine what he might say.

10. Once I sat down to write today's blog entry, I contemplated the stellar idea of adding a step-by-step description of the drawing process, complete with very lame attempts at cheesy humor.  Mission accomplished...

#145 March 14, 2011,  Pen
Sounds:  Roman Candle, Oh Tall Tree in the Ear

No comments:

Post a Comment