Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 149

This is one of those images that I think needs a bit of explanation. While I'm content that most viewers will decipher the drawing and create their own interpretation, I have an uncharacteristic desire to share my thought process with this one.

Initially, I sat down to draw as I do most days, with my reflection staring back at me from a mirror. However, as I considered what the image would actually look like, I began doodling with a pencil and almost immediately created some lines that soon morphed into the larger fish at the bottom. From that point on, I knew exactly what the image would look like.

The big question is this: which fish is me? Am I the angry arrogant predator that is attacking a weaker and smaller prey? Or am I the one that appears to lack a bit of intelligence, who is oblivious to the imminent danger that is at hand?

And the answer is: I'm both.

I won't speak for anyone else by me, but I suspect that most people can associate with either of these concepts at different times. There have been some recent instances in my life where I was completely blindsided by the greed and ruthlessness of others who seemingly have no care other than a "bottom line." On the other hand, there are some times when I really feel like I'm getting to the point of lashing out at injustices directed at both me and others. This is not to say that I would ever willingly take advantage of the defenseless, because I think there's something to be said about a "Robin Hood" complex. And while I definitely don't want to be the big "bully," certainly no one ever wants to be the weak one either...

#149 March 18, 2011,  Pen
Sounds:  Various Artists, You Got Lucky : A tribute to Tom Petty

No comments:

Post a Comment