Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 136

I'll be the first to admit that this one doesn't really physically look like me. On the other hand, I'm a firm believer that self-portraits are rarely about just the artist's outward appearances.

I think I'll go back to my old rule: I'm not going to say what this drawing is about. However, I will pose these questions:

What could I be reaching for?

Is it an onject?

Is it a concept?

Could it be a feeling?

Here's something else that I think: if a person puts themself in my place in this drawing, I'm betting that there are a huge variety of possible meanings for this drawing.  To take it a step farther, I'd like to think that the overall themes of this image are pretty universal and that most people will have no problem relating.

(PS: As I read through my words to make any last minute changes just before making this public, I just now have an idea for how to make this theme even better.  Perhaps the next self-portrait has just been planned!!)

#136 March 5, 2011,  Pen
Sounds:  Patty Griffin, Flaming Red

1 comment:

  1. Nice choice of music. I wonder what inspired that selection ...

    It's scary to reach for something when you can't really see what you're reaching into.

    ReplyDelete