Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 187

This evening, I had no idea what tonight's self-portrait would look like. I wasn't really in the mood to sit with drawing paper in front of me and wait for inspiration, so I did what I do in these situations: I went for a drive. While I was out and about listening to music, it occurred to me that I haven't done an artwork featuring some sort of compartments for awhile. So, I headed home to begin working.

I have said before how I like imagery featuring people with doors, or drawers, or windows as a part of their body.  Perhaps my biggest influence who also did this was Salvador Dali.  Of course, I would never suggest that this drawing is on par with Dali; a 10-minute sketch which is then inked can't even come close to Dali's genius!  But...it sure is fun.

In many respects, this drawing could be considered a double self-portrait: one of me, and one of my conscience.  At least this is what I thought about while making the artwork.  I have never claimed to be perfect, but I'm pretty happy with where my life has lead me.  I think we all need that affirmation every now and then telling us that we're on the right track, and I appreciate the person who gave me that reminder today.  It might be a rough road sometimes, but if we stick it out we'll end up where we're supposed to be.

#187 April 25, 2011,  Ink
Sounds: Dokken, Back for the Attack

No comments:

Post a Comment