Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 184

I just made an interesting discovery . . . just this very minute.

As I sit in front of my keyboard, staring at the screen and pondering what to write about today's self-portrait, I realized that I was doing exactly what I'm doing in the drawing.  I was staring at an empty "page" on the computer screen, awaiting inspiration.

The same thing happened while making the self-portrait itself.  I chose to portray myself in profile because I haven't done so for some time.  The same thing with the closed eyes.  The problem was that this all took place on the left side of the paper, so I considered two options: I could crop the picture so it was nothing but my head, or I could add something to the right side.  Obviously I chose the latter.

Once again today, I really don't know what the image means to me.  It was simply another case of seeing something in my mind and then transferring that to the artwork without relying on the unnecessary necessity of interpretation.  But perhaps I now have at least one possible meaning...

#184 April 22, 2011,  Pen
Sounds: Mumford and Sons, Sigh No More

No comments:

Post a Comment