Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 103

Here's how a stream-of-consciousness drawing happens: because I have worn my hair a little spiked over the past several days, I had the idea to portray myself with nails for my hair. As I was working on the drawing, my daughters started weighing in on what they thought it actually was: pencils, paint brushes, a tub of popcorn (yes, really), and a crown.

The drawing was happening, but it simply wasn't working for me. Honestly, I was feeling a little down about the entire drawing process tonight. So I went to what has become my #2 Stand-by: using charcoal on a brown paper bag that I carried a bottle of wine home in.

Based on the girls' interpretations, I re-visited an idea that that I technically already had, but has never seen reality until tonight: a floating crown directly over my head. I'm not sure I have any thoughts on what this self-portrait means, but I like the idea. I think I'll do another one with this theme again someday...

#103 January 31, 2011,  Charcoal on brown paper bag
Sounds: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Long After Dark

No comments:

Post a Comment