Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 120

Sometimes in a case like this, the image is so blatant, so "out there", so extreme, that I grant myself persmission to give an explanation regarding its meaning.

I have been literally exhausted for the past several days - lack of sleep will do that to you! At any rate, my face in this drawing clearly displays the signs of sleep deprivation. A dragonfly is often used to symbolize a rebirth or a new start, which is personally relevant in many ways. Yes, I pictured myself wearing only underwear briefs, as a means of expressing feelings of extreme exposure or vulnerability due to putting myself on display (as I have often felt during this project and - regrettably - at other times!). Attempting to remain balanced while standing on top of the large ball is very difficult, as is balancing a plethora of responsibilities in each of our lives. And finally, the design on the ball signifies that often times, a person becomes a target to those who disapprove, or are jealous, or simply mean-spirited people!

As an aside, I am very pleased with this self-portrait, but it still didn't quite capture what I was going for. This idea will be revisted very soon....

#120 February 17, 2011,  Pen
Sounds:  Dwight Yoakam,  Dwight Sings Buck (Dig)

No comments:

Post a Comment