Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 95

I looked through some old sketchbooks today and was pleased to find several great ideas for paintings and drawings. My sketchbooks are a little strange, because they usually contain more writing than actual drawings. Interestingly enough, I write down the titles or the basic "storyline" for an artwork, but the image itself remains locked in my mind.

When the time comes to actually make the artwork, I generally take photographs for reference material - such as poses of human figures, composition of various elements, or just anything that will make the artwork more accurate. From these photos, I create a full-size sketch that is transferred to the canvas, panel, or paper. Then the physical part of the art-making begins.

In some cases, such as with tonight's drawing, I place actual props in front of me for that same visual reference. For example, I worked from a photo of myself to create the basic image, but placed my boots in this position in order to draw them correctly.

So what is this drawing all about? That's a good question, and I think my viewers know what my elusive answer will be!

#95 January 23, 2011,  Ebony pencil
Sounds: Butch Walker, Left of Self-Centered


No comments:

Post a Comment