Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 89

I am beyond pleased with today's portrait. And I loved yesterday's colored pencil drawing. Same goes for the day before. Honestly, I feel like I'm a bit of an artistic zone, and I'm totally digging it.

There are different things that art IS or can be. One of the most important to me is that it meets the individual needs of the artist. One of these is literally a physical need to create, to make something new. The best comparison to really describe the feeling is that it's a lot like how I expect a smoker to feel when they have an intense craving for a cigarette. The ironic thing is that earlier in the evening I was incredibly excited to make today's self-portrait, but I was blocked because I didn't know what it would look like. Once the idea came to me, however, I was all set and jumped in feet first.

I should point out that how I'm handling "the self-portrait project" is a little different than I think most artists work. Generally speaking, an artist will have a given style exhibited in their art and while some will occasionally deviate or experiment, it seems that most artists' work is recognizable for how it looks. With this project, I'm making a conscious choice to expand my style so every self-portrait doesn't look exactly the same. When I reach the conclusion on Day 365, one of the goals is for my to have dabbled in enough different styles or materials that I will know what my art should look like.

That is, until I decide to change my style once again...

#89 January 17, 2011,  Conte and Ebony pencil
Sounds: Kiss, Dynasty

1 comment:

  1. Jim,
    I applaud your idea and am amazed at your creative zeal. I hope you don't burn out
    before it's over I know I would. I've been
    fresh out of artistic zeal lately, I hope
    I can come up with such an Idea to get me going again. Keep up the great work.
    Rich P.

    ReplyDelete