Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 101

I began today's self-portrait with an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion. I've felt tired for the better part of the day, and I wasn't terribly motivated to make any kind of art this evening. As I sat in front of the mirror, I rested my chin on my hand and contemplated what tonight's drawing would look like - and then I realized that I was already looking right at it.

As the drawing rapidly took form, I was reminded of this sculpture by Marcel Duchamp:

Marcel Duchamp, "Marcel Duchamp Cast Alive"
Bronze, onyx, black Belgian marble
1967
Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, Missouri

I've always been drawn to this artwork, in part because I once made a bronze sculpture that (accidentally) bore a slight resemblance to it.  More importantly, I have always been interested in people and their personalities; Duchamp's sculpture is actually made from a cast of himself, so it is an exact lifesize reproduction of what the man looked like. Since I will obviously never get the opportunity to meet him in person, this sculpure is the next best thing.

It was purely a coincidence that my drawing resembled the Duchamp sculpture.  But I really like coincidences.  And as rapidly as my drawing was finished, it was almost as if I had an extra hand guiding mine tonight...

#101 January 29, 2011,  Ink
Sounds: Gin Blossoms, Congratulations I'm Sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment