Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 88

I love it when art happens like this.

The idea for this self-portrait came to me when looking at a loose sketch that I made a couple years ago. It wasn't a self-portrait by any means; it was really just a drawing of some kind of eagle-like bird that had antlers and a cat's tail. And for some reason it was also wearing a pendant that looked a lot like a penny. I'll be honest: I have no idea when I did this drawing or why; it was simply something that I found in an old sketchbook and I really liked it a lot.

However, there were elements of the drawing that I incorporated into this one, the main thing being the scarf that's being towed by bumblebees. In fact, the moment I rediscovered that old sketch, I got the idea for this drawing. The idea was so strong that I knew exactly what today's self-portrait would look like. And with very few exceptions, the vision in my head perfectly matches the end result.

It seems to me like it's been awhile since I've done a self-portrait that is a little "trippy." I think it goes without saying that this drawing was a lot of fun to make...

#88 January 16, 2011,  Colored pencil on colored paper
Sounds: John Mellencamp, Whenever We Wanted

No comments:

Post a Comment