Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 92

I have a rule that I make my students stick to during group critiques: they are not allowed to say anything bad about their own artworks. After all, if the artist says negative things their own artworks, then how can they expect their viewers to say anything positive?

With that said, I'm not sure how much I really like tonight's self-portrait. I will admit that I had no idea what I was going to do when I sat down to draw. And I will also admit that while I like certain characteristics of this drawing, there are some parts that I can't decide what to think about them!

Although I didn't set out to prove a point with this drawing, I think it does a nice job of demonstrating a concept that I've mentioned before: not everything that an artist makes is a great success. I've recently been riding a bit of a high because I've been incredibly pleased with the past five or six drawings in a row. I think that some people have the impression that each artwork should always be better than the one before it - and that just isn't always the case.

I think I'll leave it up to the viewers to decide whether this drawing is any good or not. Who knows, maybe I'll have a better opinion the next time I look at it. As for now, I'll just be thinking about what the next one will look like...

#91 January 20, 2011,  Ink and colored pencil

1 comment:

  1. I love it! The style is a little different from your norm. but that's why I like it I think.

    ReplyDelete