Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 91

There is no denying that this drawing has some heavily borrowed elements.

For starters, the scribbled technique and strictly frontal viewpoint are reminiscent of drawings by Alberto Giacometti. This was a conscious choice that I made; I had the idea for what this self-portrait would look like for most of the day and it was always planned to be a bit of a tribute to his work. It's not fair to say that I'm a big fan of Giacometti's work, although I do enjoy it in most respects.

The second influence in this drawing happened quite by accident. This drawing began with a loose oval shape that became the head. The more the pencil moved, the more things were added (such as the elongated neck and the iris-less dark eyes), it became clear to me that my drawing was a visual marriage of the work of Giacometti and that of one of my favorite painters, Amedeo Modigliani.

All sorts of artists - from visual artists, musicians, writers, and so on - have their own favorites or those who shape their work. For my money, I really enjoy what happens when those influences creep in organically, without any preconceived notions or planning such as I did when I borrowed from Giacometti. Modigliani's style found its way into my drawing simply because I love his work, and I am moved by his style and subject matter.

#91 January 19, 2011,  Ebony pencil
Sounds: Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory

No comments:

Post a Comment