Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 41

Today marks several "returns" for me. First of all, I had a chance to revisit an old friend: Prismacolor colored pencils. I fell in love with this medium nearly 25 years ago because of the amazingly vivid colors and how workable the pencils are. It's been a long time since I've used them and it felt so good to "go home."

Secondly, I revisited an old theme. This self-portrait is based on a painting that I did a few years ago called "On the Cage." I always liked the idea, but never felt like it was fully realized. I found it a bit interesting to turn the head into the base for the birdcage in this drawing.

And finally, with this drawing I revisited my old way of art-making. My son had a basketball game out of town tonight, so I returned home rather late. I had also been busy with other things this afternoon, so I didn't have a chance to do the portrait then. Long story short: this drawing was started around 11:00 pm. I have always loved working into the night, and although there is no way that I could do every piece in the series in this manner...it felt really good at least for tonight! (I may feel very differently about it in the morning though...)

#41 November 30, 2010,  Prismacolor colored pencils
Sounds: Rick Springfield, Working Class Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment