Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 44

I started this drawing not only as part of the self-portrait project, but also as an example for my students, who are currently using charcoal and conte on colored paper. Interestingly enough, they were so consumed with their own projects that they just looked at mine in passing!

I think I should point out that the expression on my face in these artworks is not always necessarily an indicator of the mood I was in while I was creating it. Granted, there have been times when I've been in a pretty grouchy mood and it's come through in the portrait for that day. But most of the time (like in this one) I am simply making a face that I will draw. Call it acting, if you will. So let me be clear: my wrinkled up nose in this portrait is not telling of a bad mood or a symbol of frustration; it's simply a face that I made while creating this drawing.

While it's not a content or happy face, I think it looks a lot like me. And...it was a lot of fun to draw, even if my students didn't really pay much attention!



#44 December 3, 2010,  Charcoal and conte on colored paper
Sounds: Young Dubliners, Saints And Sinners

No comments:

Post a Comment