Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 58

As I've said before, I really love using colored pencils, although I rarely seem to use them much anymore. And using them on colored paper is even better.

Although our styles are slightly different, I have noticed a bit of a parallel in my work with that of my friend Nora Othic, as well as one of her influences Wayne Thiebaud.  Nora enjoys adding an unexpected color - perhaps a bright pink or orange - that would not occur under normal circumstances.  As I neared completion of this drawing, I realized that something was missing.  Sure, the portrait looked fine and I was happy with it for the most part, but it just didn't "pop." 

That all changed when I added the bright green outline!  When doing this sort of thing, however, it's important to add a bit of the color elsewhere to create a sense of unity.  Upon closer inspection, viewers will find touches of that same green in the hair and in shades of the skin tone.

And for those with a discerning eye: yes, I got a haircut...

#58 December 17, 2010,  Colored pencil (Prismacolor) on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment