Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 42

I've been wanting to make a portrait that borrows *cough, cough - rips off - cough* the style of one of my favorite artists, David Stoupakis. His work is borderline creepy, but I really love the effect that he gets in his paintings and drawings.  Plus, I've had some interactions with him by email and he seems like a damned nice guy, which is always a good thing.  And I am happy to say that I'm the proud owner of one of his poster prints!

This portrait was made in the way that most budding artists get their start: with ONE single pencil.  The experience of making this drawing was fantastic: at one point, I felt like abandoning the drawing and starting over...but I stuck with it and am quite pleased with the results.  This is not the first time that this has happened during this project, and I think it serves as a gentle reminder that sticking with something can pay off in the long run.  (This is not to say, however, that certain things shouldn't be abandoned.  The trick is to learn when to forge ahead, and when to change course...)

I'm also happy about the fact that the scared/emotional expression on the face is totally faked. Despite what the image might suggest, today was a pretty great day!

#42 December 1, 2010,  Pencil
Sounds: Nine Inch Nails, Downward Spiral

No comments:

Post a Comment