Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 55

Believe it or not, there's not a really deep story to this portrait. It all came to me pretty quickly while I was opening a bottle of wine this evening.

I did happen to incorporate an element to this drawing that I've really come to enjoy using: the heavy outline. The difference this time is that those bold lines are drawn in pencil instead of ink, which I usually use for that particular effect.

At some point I'm sure I'll discuss in detail why I think that the invention of photography was the single biggest event in the visual arts. For now, however, I'll simply make reference to the fact that this development proved once and for all that there is no such thing as outline in real life. So of course some artists - being artists, after all - decided that it was time to use even bolder outlines than ever!! (Some rules are made to be broken!)

When it comes to "realism," there is really no place for outlines. But I never said that this was meant to be "realism"...

#55 December 14, 2010,  Pencil
Sounds: Jeff Black, B-Sides and Confessions, Vol. 1

1 comment: