Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 303

It has been brought to my attention that I haven't done any unique viewpoints for awhile. It seems like most of the recent self-portraits just show me looking right back at the viewer like a driver's license picture or a mugshot. So, today I decided to do something about that.

The idea actually came from a sketch that I did several years ago of a guy who was unzipping his shoulder, releasing a bird from his insides to fly free. It was an interesting idea and it worked better on the sketch because it wasn't bound by the same restrictions of semi-realism that this drawing is confined to. I drew a bird in, but it just didn't look right. So...I left the area empty.

And I wasn't happy with it at all.

The more I thought about it, the more it occurred to me that there was simply no purpose in portraying the body this abstracted way if I didn't show something emerging from it. What was the point, really?

So I added hundreds - perhaps thousands - of little dots.

What do they represent? Your guess is as good as mine. I suppose they could be bugs. Or tiny little birds. Or bubbles. Or maybe it's my soul transformed into tiny molecular particles.

Whatever they happen to be, the drawing is much better because of them.

#303 August 19, 2011,  Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment