Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 276

Upon first glance, I'll admit that it looks like I took the easy way out today. It's pretty obvious that making this self-portrait took very little time. And really, it's not even a picture so how can it be a self-portrait, right?!

For starters, I never said that every self-portrait would be an image. I've made it pretty clear that I don't believe it's necessary for a self-portrait to actually look like the artist. And while today's artwork isn't a physical representation of me, it absolutely captures who I am.

Here's how.

At different times in my life, I've been accused of being an extreme optimist - sometimes to a fault - almost always looking on the bright side even in the face of a gazillion reasons to believe otherwise. I would guess that somebody somewhere has said this phrase before, but I've never heard it...so I'm taking credit for it!

It seems to me that if being an optimist means being a "glass half full" kind of person, then believing you can just add more displays an even brighter outlook!

#276 July 23, 2011,  Sharpie marker


And I'll add this postscript: the idea to do this self-portrait came to me early this morning.  I kicked around whether or not I really wanted to go ahead and use the idea or not because it is obviously borrowed very heavily from images found all over the place online.  But I really like the simplicity of the handwritten affirmations - simply black letters on white paper - so I was inspired.  And since the phrase is very much me, I ran with it.  Very late tonight, I sat with a marker in hand and wrote the words...

No comments:

Post a Comment