Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 259

There was originally supposed to be something coming out of the opening in the skull. I first kicked around the idea of some blackbirds (big shock there!), then a dragonfly, and even a butterfly. Ultimately I decided to leave it blank.

As viewers, are we waiting for something to creep to the surface and present itself? Perhaps whatever was inside has already escaped? Maybe the truth is that there was never anything there at all so the story is a bit anti-climactic?!

Oddly enough, I'm having trouble looking at this piece as the artist who created it; I seem to be associating more with viewers who have little to no information about the drawing. I really like this and I'm glad that I'm usually so elusive with the meanings of my art. It's great fun to look for interpretations of artworks and I like to initiate that adventure for my viewers!

#259 July 6, 2011,  Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment