Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 204

This image actually has roots in several different sources.

I chose to use the same materials as yesterday simply because I had such a great time making that drawing.  The combination of the sharp lines of the mechanical pen and the versatility of the ink wash make for some interesting drawings.

I have been thinking about doing a full body self-portrait for a few days, and I decided the time was now.  The concept of the dunce cap and the submissive pose came from a description that a photographer gave about one of his photos in a book I'm currently reading.  (This Is Gonna Hurt: Music, Photography and Life Through the Distorted Lens of Nikki Sixx, by Nikki Sixx.)  Granted, the imagery of my drawing isn't even close to that of his photo, but I appreciated the inspiration.

I haven't decided what my facial expression represents.  My personal interpretation varies each time I look at the drawing, ranging from pouty to beaten down to soul-searching to completely self-aware.  As always, I love the fact that this drawing has multiple possible meanings.  That's the kind of art that I like to look at, and it's the kind of art that I like to make...
#204 May 12, 2011,  Pen and ink wash
Sounds: Kiss, Carnival of Souls: The Final Sessions

No comments:

Post a Comment