Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 200

As I look back over the past 200 self-portraits, one thing that strikes me is a distinct lack of color. (That's part of why it's here today.)  A bit of an explanation: I would dearly love for each piece to be a fully realized work of art. But in reality, I simply don't have several hours each day to devote to making the artworks in this series.

Fortunately, one of the unspoken goals of this project is being met: while making an artwork each day, my drawing skills are getting better and better. I realize this sounds like an little amateurish statement, but every artist should strive to improve their skills each and every day, whether they are a hobbyist or a Michelangelo. 

I know I've mentioned this before, but something that has come as a welcome surprise is the fact that many of these self-portraits have become "sketches" for larger scale artworks.  I like the ideas that this one is giving me...

#200 May 8, 2011,  Watercolor and colored pencil
Sounds: Pearl Jam, rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991-2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment