Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 199

Although it appear to be the case, this self-portrait wasn't inspired by Andy Warhol's Triple Elvis. It wasn't until the drawing was well-underway that it occured to me that there was quite a similiarity.

The best part about this artwork is not the finished product, but the circumstances that it was made under.  As seems to be the case the majority of the time, the drawing was started very late at night; everyday activities and a lack of inspiration conspired together in a way that found me sitting in front of a blank sketchpad at midnight wondering what the day's self-portrait would look like.  Taken with the fact that I was getting more and more tired with each passing minute added to the frustration of not being fnished with the day's work.

Right about this time, Austin returned from an evening out with his friends.  It would be inaccurate to say that he inspired today's drawing, because it was merely a coincidence that my idea came to me right as he arrived at home.  He sat down with me and we talked while I worked.  To say that he doesn't have a lot of interest in art-making for himself would be a bit of an understatement, but he seems to have respect for what I do with my art.  We visited a bit about drawing processes...and baseball...and cars...and friends...and life.  And before we knew it, an hour and a half had gone by and we were still talking. 

I know we probably could've gone on for hours, and that was a pretty great feeling.  This child and I spent a lot of time butting heads when he was younger, and while I would be lying if I suggested that we didn't still have those moments occasionally, I can say without a doubt that our relationship is better and stronger than ever.  And I know he feels the same way.  This is something that I would put right up there near the top of the list of things that I'm proud of in my life.

No, today's self-portrait has nothing to do with the story that accompanies it.  And that's fine; I'd rather focus on the story anyway...



#199 May 7, 2011,  Ink

_____

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there!

A special nod goes to my two favorite Moms:
~ To my mom, Pam Norris - thank you for raising me to be the person I am.  I have always appreciated the fact that we've always had such a great relationship.  I hope I can continue to make you proud each and every day.
~ To Shana - you are a fabulous mom to your kids and a wonderful "step-mom" to my kids.  I am so happy to be making this family with you and am proud to share our lives together.

No comments:

Post a Comment