Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 235

It seems like I'm experiencing a recurring theme of ebbs and flows with this project. I'll go for a couple days making drawings that I consider pretty weak, which causes me to feel the need to spend more time on the next one as a way of making it up to myself. And I really like that feeling because it tells me that ultimately this project is just for me. Any time I make a drawing that I consider sub-standard, it frustrates me and I feel like I've let myself down. And at the times when I make a self-portrait that I consider to be much better, then I feel a strong sense of satisfaction.

Don't get me wrong: I love to share my art and I love to receive feedback (especially the positive kind!), but I've reached the point in this project where I'm going more on my sheer desire to keep going - to make the best art that I can on each given day. Sometimes I am successful, and sometimes I'm not. But I continue to be amazed how each and every self-portrait in this project is an accurate representation of my state of mind when the artwork was made.

#235 June12, 2011,  Ink and acrylic on paper
Sounds: Rainmakers, Tornado

No comments:

Post a Comment